ShenYuePop!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

40 Years On, and Still Going Strong

3 posters

Go down

40 Years On, and Still Going Strong Empty 40 Years On, and Still Going Strong

Post by Cutie Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:34 pm

40 Years On, and Still Going Strong Y10

Singer, artist, writer and DJ Cho Young-nam smiles and poses with one of his works at his home in Cheongdam-dong. The 63-year-old “multi-entertainer” will be the first pop singer to perform at the Sejong Center for the Performing Arts concert hall Aug. 1 / Korea Times Photo by Shim Hyun-chul

Singer-Artist Cho Young-nam Pursues ‘Jaemi’ or Fun

By Han Sang-hee
Staff Reporter

Celebrity or not, it is important to have a specific goal in life. For some it may be becoming famous or rich, but for singer Cho Young-nam, who has succeeded in both fields, the goal is to have fun.

``I'm a jaemi-ist. A supernatural jaemi-ist. If there is something fun, I'm sure I've done it some time in the past,'' the 63-year-old singer, writer, artist, DJ and television host told The Korea Times during an interview at his home in Cheongdam-dong. ``Jaemi'' means ``fun'' in Korean.

Cho, who received an honorary graduate diploma from Seoul National University's department of vocal music and a Bachelor of Arts degree from Trinity College, Florida, is one of Korea's favorite singers. Also a professional artist who has held several exhibitions here and abroad, he is well known as a celebrity who lives young at heart ― he loves movies, shopping and gets around on Heelys, or ``roller shoes'' that have a wheel embedded in each heel.

``I hate mountain climbing, baduk and fishing. I'm quite the opposite from many men. I love shopping and I can't be friends with people who hate it,'' he said.

Cho has been busy working on his radio show and artistic works, but still managed to prepare something special for his fans. Not only is he holding a concert to celebrate his 40th anniversary in singing, but he is staging the event at the Sejong Center for the Performing Arts concert hall ― the first time ever for a pop singer. To fit into the classical venue where many classical artists and orchestras have performed, the vocal major has prepared an interesting program.

The recital will offer some of his favorite songs and arias, including ``E Lucevan le Stelle'' from the opera ``Tosca,'' ``Yesterday'' by the Beatles and even a gospel number ``You Raise Me Up.''

``I don't favor any specific kind of music. Classics may seem a little more complicated but I interpret them in my own way,'' said Cho.

Even for Cho who loves to perform, he admits that standing on stage with a big smile is not everything.

``It's a show. I look happy, but sometimes (performing) is actually a series of pressures. This (job) is not all about laughing and having fun. There is competition and tension. I've learned to overcome this with my music and art,'' he said.

Any plans for new fun projects?

``I'm planning to hold another art exhibition in the fall. Art allows me to create something that has never existed before. If we are living in a God-made nature, I want to create a similar concept here in my home. A man-made nature is what I'm working on. Anybody can do it,'' he said working with a glue gun and a piece of wood.

As a tip on how to stay young at heart, Cho smiled and said that it was important to meet younger people and understand their thoughts and ideas.

``Talk and have fun with young people. You have to learn the way to have fun. Try not to care about others who criticize and you'll be happy. I'm a lucky man. I do what I want to do and don't care what people think. Some may like it, some may not. I don't regret anything I've done to this day,'' he smiled. Cho Young-nam's recital will be held at the Sejong Center for the Performing Arts concert hall Aug. 1. Tickets cost from 50,000 won to 120,000 won. For more call (02) 749-1300.

sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr
Cutie
Cutie
Friends Of SYP!
Friends Of SYP!

Number of posts : 1650
Warning :
40 Years On, and Still Going Strong Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 10040 Years On, and Still Going Strong Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-19

http://www.crunchyroll.com/user/Lakeu

Back to top Go down

40 Years On, and Still Going Strong Empty Re: 40 Years On, and Still Going Strong

Post by soyboy01 Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:51 pm

I totally met this guy and took a picture with him....he was a really popular singer and still is with the older generation. And his artwork is awesome....love that piece he's holding....
soyboy01
soyboy01
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 889
Warning :
40 Years On, and Still Going Strong Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 10040 Years On, and Still Going Strong Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-19

Back to top Go down

40 Years On, and Still Going Strong Empty Re: 40 Years On, and Still Going Strong

Post by Otjien Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:26 am

ahahahaha... if you look at him for a second, he looks like LSM... huehehehe...

Otjien
SYP Princess
SYP Princess

Number of posts : 227
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down