ShenYuePop!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Epik High criticized for backward masking?

+9
kiki
rayna
crypticbluerose
xmizzzy
Cutie
toocutedoggy
firegoddess716
dragonninja598000
tealfirestar07
13 posters

Go down

Epik High criticized for backward masking? Empty Epik High criticized for backward masking?

Post by tealfirestar07 Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:44 pm

Epik High criticized for backward masking? 20080726

Recently, hiphop group Epik High has been criticized for the backward masking in their song “비(Be)”.

According to Wikipedia, backward masking is a recording technique in which a sound or message is recorded backward onto a track that is meant to be played forward. It often causes much controversy, be it made intentionally or accidentally, especially when a hidden message is embedded in this special recording. It was often associated to the worship of the devil.

“Be” when played backwards, a single word “Jesus” could be heard. This issue last made its way as a headlines in 1994 for the song “Classroom Idea” by SeoTaiJi and Boys. It had seemed that just like the case for Seo TaiJi, this case of backward masking for Epik High is unintentional.

For the case of “Classroom Idea”, when played backwards, the words “not enough blood” was heard. This had clashed with the idea of protestant idea then. And when Seo TaiJi and Boys‘ song “HaYeoGa” was played backwards, the words “I love Satan” can be heard.

Outside of Korea, other singers have also received criticism for the issue of backward masking like the group Judas Priest. They had a song “Better by You, Better than Me” in 1978, which in 1985 rose suspicion regarding backword masking. The words “Do It!” could be heard when the song is played backwards. Parents of the teenage fans of Judas Priest took the group’s company CBS to court, and a total of $40,000 was compensated to the parents. Another group Queen, their song “Another One Bites The Dust”, the words “It’s fun to smoke marijuana” could be heard when played backwards.

Watch the backward masking video of Epik High’s “Be”

cr: sookyeong.wordpress.com
tealfirestar07
tealfirestar07
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1851
Warning :
Epik High criticized for backward masking? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Epik High criticized for backward masking? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-20

Back to top Go down

Epik High criticized for backward masking? Empty Re: Epik High criticized for backward masking?

Post by dragonninja598000 Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:49 pm

i think that's pretty stupid. >.< argh people these days. Linkin Park did backward masking in their song Announcement Public Service and nobody said anything. i actually thought it was funny. =P i hope they don't get troubles over this mundane thing.

dragonninja598000
SYP Knight
SYP Knight

Number of posts : 1083
Warning :
Epik High criticized for backward masking? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Epik High criticized for backward masking? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-18

http://www.myspace.com/theone598000

Back to top Go down

Epik High criticized for backward masking? Empty Re: Epik High criticized for backward masking?

Post by firegoddess716 Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:20 pm

really?
what did the linkin park song say?
but i think its pretty stupid too.

what would epik high have to do with jesus?
firegoddess716
firegoddess716
SYP Princess
SYP Princess

Number of posts : 479
Warning :
Epik High criticized for backward masking? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Epik High criticized for backward masking? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by toocutedoggy Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:56 pm

haha, it's funny how my sunday school teacher discuss about this topic too ....

as long it's not a bad song w/ message , i am fine w/ it
toocutedoggy
toocutedoggy
SYP SuperFan
SYP SuperFan

Number of posts : 2184
Warning :

http://www.xanga.com/toocutedoggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cutie Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:08 pm

toocutedoggy wrote:

as long it's not a bad song w/ message , i am fine w/ it

yup... agree..
Cutie
Cutie
Friends Of SYP!
Friends Of SYP!

Number of posts : 1650
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-01-19

http://www.crunchyroll.com/user/Lakeu

Back to top Go down

Post by xmizzzy Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:29 pm

backward masking is creepy.
xmizzzy
xmizzzy
SYP Princess
SYP Princess

Number of posts : 160
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post by tealfirestar07 Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:55 pm

^ puh-leeze. i would understand if it was something like The Beatles's case (the whole 'Paul is Dead' if you play "Revolution 9" backwards/conspiracy theory) but it's nothing as serious.
tealfirestar07
tealfirestar07
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1851
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by crypticbluerose Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:16 am

I don't see nothin' wrong with EH's backmasking even if it was intentional.
crypticbluerose
crypticbluerose
SYP Princess
SYP Princess

Number of posts : 155
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-01-28

http://www.myspace.com/animebluerose14

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonninja598000 Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:21 am

firegoddess716 wrote:really?
what did the linkin park song say?
but i think its pretty stupid too.

what would epik high have to do with jesus?

"You should brush your teeth, and you should wash your hands"

lol it's funny. =P

dragonninja598000
SYP Knight
SYP Knight

Number of posts : 1083
Warning :
Epik High criticized for backward masking? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Epik High criticized for backward masking? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.myspace.com/theone598000

Back to top Go down

Post by rayna Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:14 pm

^^ lol on the linkin park thing, so what if they did that? its their song and its not like you are suppose to hear the song backwards, they were intentionally trying to hurt epik high, seriously whoever found this out had nothing better to do with their lives.l
rayna
rayna
SYP Princess
SYP Princess

Number of posts : 366
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by kiki Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:26 pm

why would people play it backwards? I just find it weird.
kiki
kiki
SYP Princess
SYP Princess

Number of posts : 313
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by aznsaranghae Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:00 am

Wow, that's pretty pathetic. But I hope epik high don't get in trouble or whatever for it. Anyways, the song is awesome anyways. thank you for sharing.
aznsaranghae
aznsaranghae
SYP Candle Queen
SYP Candle Queen

Number of posts : 701
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-02-11

http://www.myspace.com/miss_vicky

Back to top Go down

Post by faith Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:17 am

Who's so free to play it backwards?
But why Jesus? I'm surprised, I never knew that Epik High was linked to the word "Jesus" in anyway.
faith
faith
SYP Candle Queen
SYP Candle Queen

Number of posts : 507
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by steph Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:52 am

i heard bout da case of Judas priest before where two of its fans commit suicide becoz they heard da word "do it" in one of the songs playing backward..thats y is really an issue if an artist song has backward masking..
but i dun think epik high case is done on intentionally.. they might not even be aware on this til sumone bring up this news..i mean who would wanna listen backwards anyway..
steph
steph
SYP Princess
SYP Princess

Number of posts : 193
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Enchant Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:09 am

haha it is quite funny why someone would have the time to play a song backwards.

Enchant
SYP Princess
SYP Princess

Number of posts : 120
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down