ShenYuePop!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation

+10
KoJa
hanie binnie
see
akirou
strawberrybj
dragonninja598000
Peony
Cutie
noonoo_shoo
TroubledAqua
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation Empty Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation

Post by TroubledAqua Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:49 pm

girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation Wg1

It has been a while since Music Bank but there are still many people talking, discussing and arguing on who did better: WonderGirls singing the SNSD song of ‘Kissing You’ or Girls’ Generation singing the WG song of ‘Tell Me’. Personally, I have started to become sick and tired of the arguing between the two sides. In all honesty, it is just a matter of opinion… whether you are a music virtuoso or completely tone deaf. So I decided to take a different route with this argument. Instead of arguing which group sang/performed better at Music Bank, I decided to ask the following:

Which group will be more successful?

Before I can attempt to answer this question, I have to define what success is. In my opinion, success for an Asian artist or group is one thing: The Western world. Now I am not trying to be racist or say stuff like ‘The West is Best’ but if you measure all the people who have heard of Britney Spears compare to all the people who have heard of BoA… which girl would have the larger group? I am pretty sure there are going to be some people who will argue with me saying: “But TroubledAqua… not all Asian artists want to debut in America.” This is true. But let’s think back to when we were all children and we all had big dreams. No one just wanted to be the best basketball player only in the US or the best soccer player only in Brazil… no… we all had a higher goal. We wanted to be the best whatever in the world.
Thankfully the western world is starting to notice the Asian talent into a more mainstream light. Some of the recent events we should know about are:

girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation 2-2

Charice Pempengco discovery on YouTube
The new lead singer of the band Journey who is Filipino
Rain’s appearances on ‘The Colbert Report’, ‘Speed Racer’ and his goal to release an English album
SM Entertainment’s plans to debut DBSK and BoA in America

girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation Vine_divider

Just yesterday (07/07/08), we were supposed to have Se7en’s new album debut into the American market. However, it was delayed into a later time. Why? Though the note sent did not mention much… we can all assume that this album wasn’t western ready to be released. We all have to remember that the east and the west have two different styles of music. To appeal to the west, you have to have a little bit of western roots in your Asian style.

So I am going to compare the two groups into categories and answer who I think the American people would like more.

Band/Number

Both groups are lucky since they are both girl bands. It seems like boy bands have died well into the 90’s but girl bands are still alive and kicking. This is probably because they appeal to both women and men. In concern to number, Wondergirls have won. This is because there are less of them. We have to remember two things… first human nature and then stereotypical western nature. Human nature is that it is easier to remember a few people then a lot of people… especially if you do not know them well. This also adds to the fact that stereotypical western world cannot tell Asians apart. I know a lot of you Asian out there have been called Chinese or Japanese (when you are not), or asked if so-and-so was your brother even if he was a different race than you. For some reason, we all look alike to them. It might take even longer to tell apart 9 people compared to 5.

Wondergirls image seems to have varied a lot. It seems they were debuted to be the ‘sexy’ type but then transformed to the ‘cool, cute’ type. SNSD’s image was always the ‘cute, virgin, angel, unmarried type’. The win on image can go both ways but let me tell you some things I thought about. I think people are more willing to accept a 15 year old acting older than a 19 year old acting like a baby. The whole virgin image probably wouldn’t work now in the music field since sex really sells and there isn’t harsh censorship like in S. Korea. Even Britney Spears who debut as a ’16 year old virgin’ changed her image into a sex symbol over time. This brings me to my next point. Let’s say SNSD does change their image into a sexy risqué image. Maybe a lot of their fans who love their virgin image would feel hurt that they compromised themselves for the western market.

Song

This is the most important category since it is mainly why people like an artist or group. Before I go on I just want to say I am not going to be talking about vocal ability and quality in this. If William Hung can make a CD and actually sell it, I don’t think the American public is that into if a person can sing or not. Since I am talking about Music Bank… I am going to talk about the songs ‘So Hot’ and ‘Kissing You’.

True story: I was having lunch with a few of my friends and please note: they were not Asian and they never listen to K-pop. We were talking about what kind of songs we were currently listening too. I finally decided to 'fess up and tell them how in love I was with this one Korean song: ‘So Hot’. They wanted to hear it so I pulled out my iPhone (yes, be jealous.) and played it for them. Immediately they wanted me to send them the song, find out how to download it and find out who the artist was.

‘Kissing You’ is known as a bubblegum pop song or a baby cute song. I doubt westerns will immediately like girls singing that song. It isn’t something they are used too and as all Asian things that westerns aren’t used too... it will just be classified as weird. I bet a lot of people are also tired of love songs. At least with ‘So Hot’ it follows the footsteps of self-acclaiming songs like ‘Fergalicious’ and ‘Don’t Cha’. Because it follows a western trend, I am going to have to give the win to Wondergirls.

girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation Vine_divider

So Honeys, Wonderfuls, neutrals and haters all alike go argue as much as you like. Because no matter what you think about this one performance... just ask yourselves... which group will be more successful?

Sources:

Se7en- https://shenyuepop.forumotion.com/korean-entertainment-news-f3/7-7-se7en-fails-to-deliver-t2727.htm?highlight=se7en
Dividers- http://www.countrylanecraftsandantiques.com/

Last edited by TroubledAqua on Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
TroubledAqua
TroubledAqua
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Number of posts : 21
Warning :
girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation Empty Re: Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation

Post by noonoo_shoo Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:07 pm

great fluidity in you writing style. You stayed engaging to the end!

Seriously good job Troubledqua.

I agree with most of your points. The music industry in South Korea is pretty Korea-centric, considering what is popular and what isnt. The music scene is pretty much the same as it was 10 years ago. Its more risque, mostly due to Seo taijis efforts in censorship.

JYP itself is very america bound, JYP himself concentrates so much on the US and plans to expand there. Heck JYP wants to make Korea more like the US, just check out his latest music videos.

Instead of all this trivial petty arguments between fans, everyone should just mind their own business. Anti or not.

All in all, very very nice editorial.
noonoo_shoo
noonoo_shoo
SYP Writer
SYP Writer

Number of posts : 557
Warning :
girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation Empty Re: Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation

Post by Cutie Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:09 pm

arr - sorry sorry. I got lost. Is it who will be successful in America or just plain successful? Since there was the mostly how westerners might view them... girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation 274759
Cutie
Cutie
Friends Of SYP!
Friends Of SYP!

Number of posts : 1650
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-01-19

http://www.crunchyroll.com/user/Lakeu

Back to top Go down

Post by TroubledAqua Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:21 pm

I'm sorry let me clear it up. I was arguing who would be more successful... then I argued the case that true success for an Asian artist is to debut in the western world (America, UK etc.). Therefore to be an ultimate success, you have to be successful in America.

Last edited by TroubledAqua on Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
TroubledAqua
TroubledAqua
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post by Cutie Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:23 pm

^oh. Okay. Got it.
Cutie
Cutie
Friends Of SYP!
Friends Of SYP!

Number of posts : 1650
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-01-19

http://www.crunchyroll.com/user/Lakeu

Back to top Go down

Post by Peony Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:57 pm

Wow! I really enjoyed your editorial! I agree that Wonder Girls' music is more likely to be successful on the international level because it appeals to a broader audience. For SNSD (and this is not the anti in me speaking but the unbiased perspective) Their type of music and image is only marketable in a very limited sphere and is not appealing to many of the larger markets. You've got a great point with the amount of members too. With the SNSD group, too many members concentrating on solo activities that keeping a group that big to make a real stand in other markets is just messy and unlikely. Five is a nice size (not just saying this because I like the Wonder Girls). Five is what people are accustomed to in groups and makes it easier for people to remember the members if they are not accustomed to distinguishing asian faces (-_-;Wink

good job! I hope you'll write more ^^
Peony
Peony
SYP Princess
SYP Princess

Number of posts : 302
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonninja598000 Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:15 am

iono i think it's a toss up. any of them could be great in the future. we'll just have to see. i'm not gonna count anyone else just because of their recent activities and publicity.

i've just read all of it and you make good points. but if you look at the Pussycat Dolls. they've had success by just 2-3 oeople doing main vocals while the rest have done backup vocals. They are a fairly large girl group compare to others in America. now about the innocent look it gives them room for change. even tho many fans won't like that they'll have some growth. I don't think everyone doing solo things will bring them down. like super junior thier using their solo activities to spend some time apart from the group, so when they do comeback together as one unit they'll be stronger.

I like wondergirls too, but i also like a few of the SNSD members. i'm not trying to say that i support everything they do. It's just that you can't really tell when they are soo early in their careers. just cuz they've had rough starts doesn't mean they won't smooth out later. just try to be a little more accepting about things. that's all.

dragonninja598000
SYP Knight
SYP Knight

Number of posts : 1083
Warning :
girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-18

http://www.myspace.com/theone598000

Back to top Go down

Post by TroubledAqua Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:50 am

@ dragonninja598000

Just a few points to you comment. The Pussycat Doll's recording group is only 6 members. When people talk about the PCD's, normally they are just refering to the actually band. The rest of the PCD's work as a variety act in Las Vegas and don't record on the CDs.

I agree with you concerning image. I really thought hard on it and trying not to be bias (even though we are at times) I, myself could not pick a winner on that. Image is pretty unpredictable. For example a lot of people still support Bill Clinton even if her cheated on his wife.

Lastly, in this editorial, I am not attacking them. I am trying to settle a dispute by looking at the overall picture. I am not a fan of SNSD in anyway but it doesn't mean I didn't look at their strong points when writting this article. In my opinion and the opinion I think my country would have... I wrote on how I and the western public would think if they saw them now.
TroubledAqua
TroubledAqua
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post by strawberrybj Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:20 am

Good article TroubleAqua.
My opinion, both groups won't make it into the US market. It's just gonna be difficult with the language barrier and lots of other obstacles.
strawberrybj
strawberrybj

Number of posts : 1293
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-01-16

http://teruterubozu13.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by akirou Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:31 am

i think PCD is down to 5 members, the red head left i think?

but great job =] u make me proud to love u =]

akirou
SYP Princess
SYP Princess

Number of posts : 63
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://kjpop.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonninja598000 Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:29 am

TroubledAqua wrote:@ dragonninja598000

Just a few points to you comment. The Pussycat Doll's recording group is only 6 members. When people talk about the PCD's, normally they are just refering to the actually band. The rest of the PCD's work as a variety act in Las Vegas and don't record on the CDs.

I agree with you concerning image. I really thought hard on it and trying not to be bias (even though we are at times) I, myself could not pick a winner on that. Image is pretty unpredictable. For example a lot of people still support Bill Clinton even if her cheated on his wife.

Lastly, in this editorial, I am not attacking them. I am trying to settle a dispute by looking at the overall picture. I am not a fan of SNSD in anyway but it doesn't mean I didn't look at their strong points when writting this article. In my opinion and the opinion I think my country would have... I wrote on how I and the western public would think if they saw them now.

well in any case. i think they would be interested in both regardless because they've never had an all asian girl group. so they'll probably think it's interesting. especially with SNSD because of the fact that they have 9 members, which in any standard is abnormally large for a group, that may draw attention even if they aren't that good.

I know about the PCD thing. I'm not that ignorant. and yes they are down to five members now.

you also said something about they need to have some western influence in their music. that's true, but i think that they should stick to their asian roots and just tack on the new style. if it's one thing westerners hate, it's carbon copies and fakes. they should be true to the sound they came with while slowly transitioning over.

i'm sorry if i misunderstood the article a bit. it just seems that everyone is attacking them and not really giving them a chance.

dragonninja598000
SYP Knight
SYP Knight

Number of posts : 1083
Warning :
girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation Right_bar_bleue

http://www.myspace.com/theone598000

Back to top Go down

Post by see Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:24 pm

Really well-written article ^^ I see what you mean. But I agree that with the language barrier it'll probably be very difficult. I think people in America are used to sexy British or Spanish accents like Shakira or Leona Lewis, but when it comes to Asian accents they aren't really as forthcoming. But yes, if So Hot or songs like Epik High's One debuted in America I think they would really make it big; it would just need plenty of sound editing for the accents (actually people who did Memoirs of a Geisha movie won an Oscar for that!).

see

Number of posts : 5
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by hanie binnie Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:26 am

i like this article..
well, i think WG appeals to broader audience.. they keep on rebranding themselves, which is good and let face it, they have good stage presence..
their songs are enjoyable and not to bubbly (for my liking, that is...) and at least they act according to their age, or maybe more mature.

it always amused me how most of SNSD are accepted since they not really have talent.. yes, taeyeon can sing and i think that's very unfortunate for her.. i think if she debut as a solo, she can go further..i cant stand SNSD's songs and image...innocent???? girls, you're wearing super short skirt, just because its not butt hugging, you miraculously become naive+innocent+sweet like girl next door..
girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation 40461
hanie binnie
hanie binnie

Number of posts : 2
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by whee Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:23 pm

I really like your article. :)
But the difference between WG & SNSD is that,
SNSD doesn't have plans to promote their songs in the West, while WG does.
So does that mean WG is more successful?

I think both groups are loved by various age groups,
from the young ones to the old ones (despite how creepy it is).
Anyways, to my point.

Both groups are successful right now,
no matter what antis say.
It all depends on the company (in my opinion)
Because fans will definitely support their groups.

And once again,
your article is well written and very nice.

whee

Back to top Go down

Post by KoJa Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:18 pm

You're so right! My dad doesn't like Korean Music. But when he heard Wonder Girls 'So Hot' he started asking me to replay the song. He calls Wonder Girls his girls. Cause he loves them. He thinks SNSD is shit. But Wonder Girls is his no 1. I guess you're right. I thought it was because it kinda sounds 80's
KoJa
KoJa
SYP Princess
SYP Princess

Number of posts : 87
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-07-04

http://kojaproductions.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by heenim_first love Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:53 pm

WG is the best....
WG song is be bad when snsd sing the song....

sorry if my english not good.....
heenim_first love
heenim_first love
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Number of posts : 20
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by cheesebite Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:07 am

Hi,
i am newbie^^
nice to meet u all

ehem,
oke,back to topic..
Wondergirls vs Shitdae??
Oh,come on..
Wondergirls is more more and more than shitdae in everything!!
What wg doesnt have like snsd is antifans!
LOL

why wg is better than shitdae?!
1. Wg never act like they are the number 1 girlband in the world
2. Although they are a famous girlband,they are never arrogant!!
3. Wg knows how to appreciated the other people,artists and THEIR FANS!
4. Wg is known bcoz of their fantastic songs,how with snsd? They are known bcoz of their antifans!
5. This is what makes me love wg..
although they cant sing live well,they always try sing without lypsinc!!

thats my opinion..
cheesebite
cheesebite
SYP Princess
SYP Princess

Number of posts : 115
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post by RiceRiceBaby Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:49 pm

Shut up with the SNSD bashing, people! TroubledAqua, I'm not talking to you-I'm talking to all the pinched and constipated people who replied to your article. This is about who you people think will be more successful. So if you don't think SNSD will be successful, just say THAT. No need to trash talk. GEEZ.

Anyways, I like SNSD and WG. But, out of the two-Wonder Girls will be more successful. They're much more appealing to a broader audience.
RiceRiceBaby
RiceRiceBaby
SYP Candle Queen
SYP Candle Queen

Number of posts : 598
Warning :
girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by RiceRiceBaby Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:38 pm

Well, actually I thought it over (again). SNSD are stronger in vocals and live performances than WG. While WG dances better, and has a stronger appeal. Well, if they ever debuted in the west-people will choose sides. Whoever does better in album sales, will obviously win.
RiceRiceBaby
RiceRiceBaby
SYP Candle Queen
SYP Candle Queen

Warning :
girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100girls - Wondergirls vs. Girls' Generation Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cheesebite Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:04 am

Yeah,and in this year,
wg's album sales are better than snsd..
I think,next year will be a sensational battle between them..
Both of them will release mini album or singles..
Lets see,who will get the best album sales~~~~~
cheesebite
cheesebite
SYP Princess
SYP Princess

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post by RiceRiceBaby Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:13 pm

What's the difference between an album and a mini album? I'm such a noob....

I'll be gone for a while. So, my apologies for taking a while to reply back cheesebite. Merry Christmas!
RiceRiceBaby
RiceRiceBaby
SYP Candle Queen
SYP Candle Queen

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post by cheesebite Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:02 pm

if full album has 10 tracks or more,mini album just has 3 tracks..
Ex : Like wondergirls mini album "so hot" and super junior mini album "U"
there were 3 songs in that album,
if i am not wrong,hehe
cheesebite
cheesebite
SYP Princess
SYP Princess

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post by toocutedoggy Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:18 am

^ lol, yeah, i find this intresting too...... if it's like 3 songs, isn't it a single? .... ...

mini album should be half of the full album recorded songs ...hmm, weird

anyways....

wow, i see snsd bashing here ><

i suport both of the group

- snsd-
= well, snsd is pretty much well known be4 they debut ( you know.....the <SUPER GIRLS>)
= their song is easier to listen ( idk, i fin
= they are just like Super junior ( i know, i am just using as an example) ....they MCs, doing variety shows, drama .... other than their singing career
^ each of them have their own talented
- Taeyeon - SOLO project (OST songs) and radio host for Chin Chin
- YoonA- she is pretty much well known be4 SNSD ( appearing on DBSK's MV) .....+ her own drama ( You are my DEstiny ) ...the rating = well response
-Sunny - just b/c she is SooMan's niece she have no talented......she just start doing her SOLO project (OST song) ....she is vocally trained by
- JeTiHyun (JEssica, Tiffanny, Seo Hyun) have their own perf and projects .....
- Yuri and Sooyoung - have appear on a <unstoppable marriage> drama..
- Hyoyeon - the dancing queen .....yes, she is truly a great dancer ( check her dance out with jaewon of Blackbeat)

Wonder girls
= they are debut under JYP .... and they have a wonderful producer JYP to accompany them to success
= they song is suitable for all ages either to sing- along or dance along (b/c it's freaking catchy) :)
= wonder girls generally doesn't exposed to public as much as snsd ..... other than Wonder bakery or some other guest show
^ they have lots of young kids - elders fans.....keke
- Sunye - a very great leader, also have her own solo project (OST song) and collab with migthy mouth
- Ye Eun - usually under rated when it comes it vocal .....she has a awesome vocal
- Yoo Bin - very body loves her ....she just have this deep voice and tan skin ... ( hahha, what a typical rapper) ...... but hey she is very talented!
- So Hee - not you call the best vocalist , but she has potential ( her mangdoong face)....... and love by others ....+ have appear on a movie...... she is a VERY quiet person >< .... ( just wish her talk more ^^)
- 'Sunmi- ahh~ she's young....she's pretty.... and not bad for a young vocal ......

the way you dun like an artist, just dun bother to care about them, why bashing them? ....

^ it's just like what if your friend just got into some ent. company as a TRAINEE .....they have endure a lot of training and hardwork......this is something that is not easy to attain ...... and boom, someone just bashing them b/c you are not able to be like them? ..... come on~

- i have once though to be a singer ......yeah....talk about dreams and went for audition ...... ....lol , but through the audition place, i see ppl put so much effort into themselves..... this is what i have though, if one of them become a singer or actor ... they really deserve it.....

b/c human can't be perfect
toocutedoggy
toocutedoggy
SYP SuperFan
SYP SuperFan

Number of posts : 2184
Warning :

http://www.xanga.com/toocutedoggy

Back to top Go down

Post by cheesebite Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:33 am

@toocutedoggy
thx for correcting^^

yup,i've already asked my brother,he said that mini album was part of full album~~
cheesebite
cheesebite
SYP Princess
SYP Princess

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post by RiceRiceBaby Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:11 pm

Thanks for explaining cheesebite.
Well said toocutedoggy, whenever I defend SNSD I get a warning. I don't even bash the Wonder Girls and I still get a warning....
RiceRiceBaby
RiceRiceBaby
SYP Candle Queen
SYP Candle Queen

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next